Monday, January 5, 2009

Landed

- "What have I done?" So surreal when thoughts produce action. You think, "I want to go to India," and then at some point you arrive. 2008 gave way to 2009 somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. In a somewhat hilarious display of European civility, the captian on our Lufthansa airlines 747 announced, "I am sorry to imform you that our company failed to stock enough champagne for everyone on board. Obviously we are very embarrassed about this. We hope you will bring in the new year with a glass of white or red wine, beer, baileys or congnac. We ask for your forgiveness." Both Corey and I forgave them several times over.

New Years day began with some Nuremburger sausages and eggs courtesy of Kafer's Bistro in the Frankfort airport. After breakfast the time drag set in and we slept for most of our seven our layover, as well as most of our seven hour flight to New Delhi. I received my first authentic Indian bobble head from the customs officer. Such a non confirmational look on his face as he hands me back my passport, I was reminded of Trungpa Rinpoche and the way he would say, "Good Luck." After collecting our bags and changing some money it began. Our hired car and driver cruzing along in a complete fog and mist singing, laughing and letting us know, "I really like your tips," and "I love tourist money." I figured that was true and decided not to argue that point.

One half day in New Delhi enjoying chai and korma, and then the train. The train? Is that our train? No, does our train still exist? Oh, yes no problem only four hours late. Finally on the train shacked up in a cabin with two Spanish women who couldn't speak any English. One could speak French and faster than a speeding bullet Super Corey comes to the rescue. It would turn out that they too were going to the Monlam. Brave souls what with having no English or Hindi. They called Corey their angel sent from Buddha, I have often felt the same way. Corey's kindness was returned when we finally arrived in Gaya around midnight and we were offered a ride in the two ladies hired car. How a 17 hour train ride becomes 29 hours somewhere along the route is beyond me, but then again this is India.

We have now been in Bodhgaya for two days, and it has not failed to live up to India's reputation. I have seen my first holy cow, leg-less beggar, random person pooping, and sea of saffron robes prostrating to the Karmapa underneath the Bodhi Tree with the great Mahabodhi Temple looming in the backround. Chaos and bliss alternating like the chin of an Indian man when you ask a question.

I promise pictures as soon as we find an internet hutch that will accept our request to plug into the USB port. Seems simple, but you know. So more to come, and I will close by saying both Corey and I are so happy to be here.

-Michael

1 comment:

Alex said...

I am really excited to see the photos you took of the person pooping!

Hope you guys are doing well.

Much love,
Alex